Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Home again

I just returned from my weekend with D. We had a lovely time. He indulged my training schedule and waited, after he ran 8 miles, while I ran 20 miles Saturday morning. I had a good run. It was a beautiful day, and D took me to a beautiful trail through the woods. I ran 10 miles out and back. There were a lot of other runners and bikers out, but there was no shortage of quiet solitude either. It was nice.

During my run, I hit a rough patch between miles 12 and 15 but then finished strong. I'm still thinking about signing up for The Dallas Marathon. Based on how well I ran and recovered from this 20-miler, I think I'm still in fairly good marathon shape.

After our run, D and I indulged in a couple of big, delicious burgers before heading out to an art museum. Walking slowly for hours through an art museum is not typically how I recover after running 20 miles, but I put on some compression stockings and did fine. I got a short nap in later while D cooked me a very enjoyable Thai dinner. It was a long, productive, complete day together.

After such a wonderful time together, it was difficult to leave today. Puck and I packed up and headed out early this afternoon. Despite the challenge of the distance between us, I think things are moving along nicely in our relationship. I'm glad. He's one of the good guys, and I really like him.

I'm now getting settled back into my nice, quiet house. It's going to be another busy week, as I'm working 6 out of the next 7 days. I'll even be working Thanksgiving Day, but hopefully only half the day. I've been invited to eat Thanksgiving dinner with my very close friends, and I'm really looking forward to that. I have a lot to be grateful for. I think I'll try to focus on that throughout this busy week.

3 comments:

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

I'm glad you had a great weekend.

I am trying to concentrate on what I have to be thankful for, too.

dreambigrunner.com said...

What a wonderful weekend! So happy for you! I came back from my trip to Germany (work and family visit) and feel completely off... don't want to do anything, no running, not even blog reading. My job is taking everything out of me and I don't know what to do...

Kate J said...

Hi
I'm just new to your blog.
I think what you are doing is amazing.
I am on a journey of overcoming depression also. I successfully weaned myself off antidepressants earlier this year and have been trying to manage my depression through different means like exercise and attempting to remove negative thought patterns. I'm currently getting help from a life coach who is helping me on my quest to become depression free!
I'm really looking forward to reading how you are doing and look forward to your response to my post.
Cheers from Australia
Kate J



.