Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Finished

It wasn't my best day today, but it wasn't my worst either. I had hopes going into today's Dallas Marathon of perhaps bettering my time from The Twin Cities Marathon in October, but it was not meant to be.

I may have started too fast. I think that may be what I find when I look at my mile splits later. By mile 8, I was laboring, but I often have bad patches between miles 8 and 10 in a marathon, so that wasn't totally unexpected. I slowed my pace a bit, and tried to rest. I began the self-talk at that point in time, too. Just get to mile 10, and then, just get to mile 13, and then 16, 19, and 20. That's what I told myself.

I began walking up a long hill just after mile 19. That hill did not level off until after mile 21. I ran some of it and walked some of it. Between miles 21 and 22 I tried to run the whole way, and I think I did. I got a tiny second wind. I ran more than I  walked all the way up to mile 24, but at that point my legs just quit. I lost a lot of time over those last 2.2 miles. It was a struggle. I was very happy to cross that finish line!

I finished in a respectable 3:52:40. Like I said, it wasn't my best nor my worst race. Twin Cities was much more enjoyable. This one was a lot of work! I'm pleased to have just completed my 20th career marathon. That is something of which I am proud, especially as 10 of those 20 have been completed in just the past two years. I think I'll enjoy a little easy running for awhile. Of course, I'm already looking at the calendar toward my next marathon challenge!

2 comments:

dreambigrunner.com said...

Wow, what an awesome finish time, especially considering you had such a tough time. Finishing a tough race is a huge accomplishment, it makes you stronger!!!

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

Congratulations for running and finishing! That's such an accomplishment, as is 20 career marathons.



.