Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Life's little moments

Yesterday morning our occupational therapist entered the office and immediately began blaring, "The Old Gray Mare" from her i-pod speakers. We all laughed, as just a few days before she and one of our very elderly patients were singing the chorus to that song as they worked together. It was the only way our OT could keep the patient on task. We use whatever techniques necessary to get our patients to work with us sometimes.

Later in the morning, while the OT was working with the same patient, she played, "The Old Gray Mare" for her. We all, including our very elderly patient, began singing along. Before we knew it, our typically wheelchair-bound patient stood up and began shaking her hips while she sang. It was beautiful! That was the most activity we had seen from this patient in quite awhile. It was great fun!

Today I was half-heartedly cursing the OT for playing that song, as it was stuck in my head for my entire ten mile run! But actually I didn't mind the repetitive tune, because every time I heard the song in my head I saw our patient standing up, shaking her hips, and singing out loud. It was, for me, a ten mile smile. Pay attention to life's little moments, my friends. They are precious.

2 comments:

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

What a lovely story! Thank you for the reminder to pay attention to those small, wonderful moments.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, that is so sweet! So glad you are doing well!
Nancy



.