Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Taking a breath

Things have been busy, busy, busy around here. It's beyond 9:30 PM, and this is the first chance I've had to sit and write today. Work has been keeping me very busy. Errands seem to be multiplying. I get one thing accomplished and another pops up. I'm keeping up with my AA meetings, at least two per week. Friends and co-workers have had several recent birthday outings and going away parties, including one tonight. Jet requires several hours of attention per day, and of course, there's running or weight lifting almost daily. But I am not complaining!

I'm not perturbed, even though there was a time when such bustling would have totally overwhelmed me. I'm not overwhelmed today. I do generally prefer a bit more quiet than I've had these last few days, but so far I'm finding the energy, stamina, and attitude to keep going. I'm keeping up, and I'm maintaining my mood while doing it. I'm grateful for that.

Having said that, I'm not long on words tonight. I've still got to make my lunch and find some clothes for work tomorrow. I have to pack my gym gear, as I have kettlebell class right after work. And I need to gather my AA materials, as my sponsor and I are scheduled to meet after kettlebell class. Before saying my prayers and closing my eyes tonight, I also need to give Jet a little time. He was in his kennel for much of the day, although right now he is outside chasing moths around the backyard. He makes me laugh! Lots to do, and grateful for the opportunities it all represents. Goodnight, my friends.

4 comments:

Andy said...

It's good to see you healthy, Etta. Keep it up!

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

Your schedule sounds very busy but very fulfilling, too. I like a quiet schedule usually, too, but when good things fill it, I tend to have more energy than I think I do.

Frank said...

Your busy schedule is inspiring! I think that you have found the key to overcoming depression and living a normal life. I've found that working out and staying busy with things that are important to me are my personal formula for staying happy.

Steven @ Best Psychiatrists in New York City said...

This article makes us realize the white board in our life, and not just worry about the black dots. Ihese one piece of information could really help and change people people’s lives, but most just seem to be unaware of it.



.