Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 19 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

He's Recovering

Hanging out chewing his Kong, Jet's recovering nicely from his surgery. The surgery was a complete success. The surgeon found a "huge chunk of bone" floating around in Jet's right elbow joint. The bone fragment was so large, the surgeon had to break it into smaller pieces in order to extract it from the joint. This was all done arthroscopically, so the recovery "quiet" time will only last two weeks, rather than six, as I had originally been told. That was a relief!

I was also relieved the surgeon actually discovered the chunk of bone. It certainly did not show up on the x-rays, so we were just supposing it was there based on his other symptoms. Jet was likely in a fair amount of pain, despite not always showing it. He does have arthritis in the joint, which is a result of the bony fragment floating around in there. Hopefully, with supplements and a slow return to activity, it will remain mild for a long time to come.

The surgeon told me the recovery from this procedure varies widely. He thought Jet had a good chance for meaningful recovery, but he had no way of predicting if Jet will ever tolerate normal levels of activity, like running with his mama. We've got some doggy physical therapy to do over the next 4-6 weeks, and then we can begin short walks. We can't even attempt running for at least another 6 months. Of course, if he limps with walking, we won't ever attempt running.

I'm not worrying too much about running right now. I'm relieved he's home and well. I'm grateful this procedure gives him at least a chance at a full recovery. Thank you for your kind words and prayers as Jet and I have traveled through this process. He's doing well. And come to think of it, so am I.


Anonymous said... good as news as possible it sounds like. And two weeks is much better than six for an active puppy! He is lucky to have you to help him recover. I have a feeling he will be very resilient. Sure you will be happy as long as he is not in pain. :)

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

I'm so glad Jet came through the surgery OK and that the quiet time will be shorter! Wow, that sounds painful to have that fragment floating around in there. I hope he gets a lot of relief with it gone.

midnight rainbow said...

So glad to hear the good news and that everything went so well. Two weeks is much more bearable than 6 and I'm so glad the surgeon found the problem and fix it.

So glad to hear you are doing well also. It's so great when things we worry about all work out.

Take care that cutie!

Pat Davis said...

Great news. Glad things worked out for the pup. Hopefully he'll be bouncing around in no time.