Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Home Alone

I escaped the inpatient unit yesterday. Last night was my first night home alone with my dog, Jet. It's strange being home. Because ECT destroyed my memory, I feel lost in my own home. Nothing looks familiar. Nothing feels familiar. I can't remember why I'm doing certain things. It's very disconcerting. I feel like a stranger in my own home, and it sucks! Tomorrow I'm hoping to get outside and walk a little bit. I need to get back to running. I'm actually missing The New York City Marathon, which is tomorrow. I have many friends out in New York who will be running tomorrow. I got my plane ticket, hotel room reservation, and was planning to be there, too, but it was not meant to be. Hopefully, I'll make the journey next year instead. I'll focus my energy on getting myself back onto the road tomorrow. If I can accomplish that, tomorrow will be a very successful day. Besides running, I'll also hope to putz around my house a little tomorrow. After being away for so many days, I feel the need to be present and accounted for around here.

4 comments:

Irene said...

Glad to hear that you are home. Hope just being home and your dog bring you comfort.

Maybe you can brighten your home with a touch of beauty.

Do you know the Allie Brosh website? It has drawings that may amuse you. Here's to a bit of a run, and some sun.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're home.

Enjoy your run and spending time with Jet. You'll be back to running marathons again in no time.

Always sending positive energy,

~ ivy

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

I'm glad you are home. I hope you will be able to get out for a run and start getting back to a routine. Enjoy being with Jet! Sending good thoughts your way.

Kelly said...

I hope you were able to settle in and find some comfort in your home. Take care- I'll keep praying for you.



.