Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Another Party

I'm headed to another party tonight. It's a party with co-workers, who I haven't spent much if any time with over the past three months, but I'm still looking forward to it. Of course, if you read my last post, you'll also understand why I'm a bit anxious. I'm concerned about a crash similar to that which I experienced after the New Year's Eve parties. But that concern is not keeping me home.

Speaking of my last post, I wasn't sure anyone would understand it, so I was surprised and relieved to hear from so many of you who totally understood! I'm sorry many of us have experienced the mood crash following a happy, social event, yet it was a relief to know I wasn't weird or alone. Thank you for your comments relating similar experiences. Even if it doesn't make a lot of sense, the crash is obviously not that unusual. We are not alone.

I've been doing better since late New Year's Day. I've slowly climbed out of the crash zone. In fact, I ran 20 miles in the last three days, including a 10-miler this morning, outside, prior to the deep freeze we are apparently about to experience. The running is still more difficult than I would like it to be. It is clear I am still slowly rebuilding, and still carrying extra pounds, but it is getting easier bit by bit. I'm grateful for that.

I've not much more to report today. I'll let you know how the party, and the party aftermath, goes. I'm expecting it to be a lot of fun. I work with a very fun group of people. It will be nice to see them outside the office. Stay warm out there, my friends. And keep putting one foot in front of the other. After all, forward is the only way to go.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that sharing my similar experiences regarding holidays was helpful to you (I'm the anonymous that shared about crying after spending Christmas day, happily, with family). I truly believe that some of the hardships we go through in life are not totally in vain if we can help others through sharing those experiences. I hope that you had a good time with coworkers last night. Also, I'm impressed with your running! Keep it up. :)

Sunnyscattered said...

Never even made it through the door of my work Christmas party. http://sunnyspellsandscatteredshowers.blogspot.ie/2013/12/christmas-party-fail.html
But, I'm happy to say I've since had two fantastic nights out with lovely people that have given me the most incredible lift. The crash comes, but it doesn't last.
Good luck with the party!

A said...

Hi Etta,
I hope you are still doing okay up there in the frozen North! I hope your party on the fourth went as you hoped it would, but if not, just remember, you have us! :)
I think about you whenever I am having a difficult moment during the day, and remind myself that I am not the only one enduring this type of hardship. It's just very comforting to know that I am not alone, I hope you feel that way too.
I don't know if I mentioned it before, but I am a runner, too. However, I don't run nearly as far as you! No marathon distances for me, I am more middle distance, usually 2-5 miles when I go out to run. Although, as you said, with this weather, it is very difficult to talk your body into getting out there. I have exercise induced asthma, so I have to take a couple tokes of my inhaler before I head out for a run.
Anyway, sorry to babble on, I just wanted to contact you and see how you are. Bye for now!



.