Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Transitioning

I'm transitioning back to my "normal" life today. Yesterday was the last day of my two week mood disorder program at Mayo Clinic. It was a good program. I liked it. It helped. I was very lucky. My fellow group members and I meshed quickly and easily. There was a high level of trust, disclosure and support between us. With the assistance of our excellent group leaders, we did an enormous amount of work with each other. It was a very good experience.

That being said, I am happy to be home, sitting with my feet up, sipping my coffee this morning. I am getting prepared to run, in the morning hours, as I usually do. My running was definitely affected by the 8-hour per day programming over the past two weeks. Besides not being able to run in the morning, as I typically would have done, the mood program was mentally and physically exhausting.
By the time I returned home in the late afternoon, going for a run was difficult. I am proud I was able to stick to my running schedule, but I am looking forward to some easier, more comfortable runs now that I will be more rested.

Things are generally going well. My parents are here visiting right now, as my step-father's granddaughter is getting married. They are not thrilled with the below zero temperatures, as they spend the winter in the warm, southern U.S. I am not thrilled with my mother chattering in my ear as I try to write this, so if this post is a bit disjointed, blame my mom! I'm kidding. I am glad they are here. It's nice to see them in the middle of the winter, as I usually don't see them for many months between Fall and Spring. They are pretty happy to see me doing so well.

Well, it's time to run. It's cold and snowing, so it looks like I may be forced indoors onto the "dreadmill." It takes a lot to force me indoors, but today that's probably where I'll be. Regardless, it will be nice to be back on my normal schedule. That alone should make for a good run and a good day. Have a great day, my friends!

5 comments:

TriTrish said...

Great to hear Etta!

Kelly said...

I am still pretty amazed at how physically exhausted I can feel after a mentally or emotionally taxing day. I guess it goes to show how everything has an effect on us- the physical and the emotional.

Funny to hear you refer to it as the "dreadmill". I read not too long ago that the first treadmills were actually invented for and used in jails/prisons. Interesting, I thought (if it is true).

Danae said...

It's so great to hear that the mood disorder program was worthwhile. Although I hate for anyone to be in pain, it is helpful to all of us who are struggling to know that we are not alone. Even your "not so good" running days would be like winning a marathon for me. Inspirational. Thanks!

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

You "sound" better, Etta, and that's so wonderful. I'm glad the mood disorder program was helpful.

We're getting the frigid temps here in Virginia, too. We're not so used to it. I exercised indoors today too.

midnight rainbow said...

I'm so glad you are feeling better! I think you all had us pretty worried for a while and is good to hear how upbeat and happy you sound.

So glad the program was so positive and helpful.

It is frigid here as well, but I walked in it anyways. I hate the dreadmill. lol



.