Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Friday, February 28, 2014

A long, cold long run

The weather around here continues to be so challenging, I changed my long run from Saturday morning to this morning instead. It's supposed to be frigid tomorrow with heavy, gusting winds. Today was not much better, but it was slightly warmer (-4 degrees when I started out) and less windy than tomorrow's forecasted weather. But it was still damn cold and windy for a 20 mile long run!

I began with 3 layers of high tech clothing on top and 2 layers on my legs, but after 8 miles I was so cold I had to loop back home and add another layer. I also had to change from my running mittens into my heavy snowblowing leather mitts. I think that may be more clothing than I've ever run in previously. The added layers made the wind and cold more tolerable for the rest of my run.

Despite the cold and wind, I did finish all 20 miles today. I'm happy about that. It was a challenge. My legs were tired, as I've already run quite a few miles this week, as scheduled. I ran out of gas around mile 13, but I took in a carbohydrate gel and some water, which perked me up. I finished feeling tired but fairly good.

This was my first 20-miler in preparation for The Boston Marathon in April. I've got two more 20-milers before race day. This was also my first 20-miler since last fall, prior to my most recent depression episode. I reflected on that fact after I finished. I'm so grateful to be running and training again. In October, November and December, I couldn't imagine ever running 20-milers again. It's really remarkable to be back at it.

I've come a long way over the past two and a half months. For that, I am amazed and grateful. It reminds me once again; everything is temporary. If I ever relapse into the darkness again, this will be a good fact to keep in mind.

1 comment:

Zrinka said...

I am glad that things are getting better :). Take care.



.