Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

One year anniversary

It has been 365 days since one of the oldest, most prestigious running events in the world was shattered by two bombs. Senseless tragedy ensued. There were 3 deaths and over 260 injured survivors, 16 of whom had to have one or both limbs amputated. Another death occurred in the following days when one of the bombers ambushed an M.I.T. police officer. Stupid, senseless, vicious... Why?

I wore my Boston Marathon jacket today and immediately noticed I was standing a little taller. There was a sense of pride, of solidarity with all those runners who were there last year. I was lucky. I wasn't there. I'm not sure I could go back this year if I had been. I'm so impressed with all the survivors who have carried on with their lives despite their injuries. Some of them are even running this year. I congratulate them. I'm in awe of them.

I spent part of the day today watching The Tribute--the city of Boston's ceremony honoring the bombing victims, although they prefer to be called survivors. It was beautiful, powerful, and honorable. Boston Strong was front and center today. I was impressed.

As I prepare to go to Boston, and as I think about running next Monday, I feel a tremendous sense of gratitude to be a runner, to have the opportunity to run marathons and the honor of running Boston. Life can change in an instant. I've had my share of struggles, this illness being the central struggle, but I can still run. It is part of my identity. I don't know what I'd do if I lost it. Thankfully, I haven't had to find out.

In six days I will join 36,000 other like-minded souls in a 26.2 mile journey from Hopkington to Boston. I expect it will be an emotional journey, maybe even a goosebump experience. I expect that last half mile down Boylston Street, the site of the bombings, will be humbling and amazing. I am honored to be participating this year. I am honored be a part of taking back our streets. I will be Boston Strong.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Etta,
Hi I'm a lurker on your blog who isn't even brave enough to 'come out'. I am in awe of you. You are so brave and so humble - you keep going during the worst of times. I will be thinking of you and the Boston marathon and checking in to see how it went

Irene said...

I'm excited for you. The energy at the event will no doubt be amazing. Enjoy your accomplishments.



.