Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Healing slowly

I'm sitting in my living room watching The Carol Burnett Show. My friend loaned me the complete set, so I've got lots of laughter ahead. That's good because otherwise things are moving along slowly here. My hip is healing slowly. Had I not ruptured one of the quad tendons, I'd be much further along than I am, and that's frustrating. Nevertheless I am healing.

I'm doing what I can to stay active. My surgeon told me not to do anything that hurts, so I've had limited exercise options. Fortunately I can walk without pain. In fact, Jet and I just came in from a one hour walk. It was a beautiful, sunny, brisk day for a walk. I'm grateful I've healed enough to allow me to  walk at this point in time.

My mood remains okay despite not being able to run right now. Getting outside to walk on these beautiful days helps. The more sunshine I can get the better. I'm a little worried about the shorter days coming up, but if I can keep moving I'm hopeful I will stave off any depression episodes. Laughing at Carol Burnett helps, too. I'm grateful my mood remains good. Keep moving, my friends.

3 comments:

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

I'm glad you're healing. And Carol Burnett is such a delight! It's good to include plenty of laughter when we can.

Brendan Anderer said...

Hi Etta... I just subscribed to your email newsletter. I'd love to talk about doing a story on you and your blog. I hope to talk soon. Thank you!

etta said...

@ Brendan: Send me your idea and address in a comment, which I won't publish, and I'll take a look. Thanks for your interest.
@ Tina: Always love to hear from you. Thanks! The Carol Burnett Show has been making me laugh out loud. Good for the soul.



.