Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Monday, November 10, 2014

Humbled Again

I just found out the website GoodTherapy.org, a site dedicated to "helping people find therapists and advocating for ethical therapy," has chosen my blog as one of their favorite depression blogs from around the web. This came as a total surprise. I am humbled and honored by the unexpected recognition.

When I began this blog almost 8 years ago, I had no idea what to expect. I hoped a few people would find me and take the time to read my words. I hoped to give voice to a debilitating illness which derailed my life. I prayed others would find encouragement and solace in my struggles and triumphs. And I wanted to fight the stigma which surrounds and burdens those of us battling depression. Over 1000 posts later, I hope I've accomplished at least a couple of these goals a few times.

Writing this blog has been more therapeutic (for me) than I ever imagined. Knowing I'm accountable to you, my readers, keeps me fighting when I want to give up, keeps me running when I feel too tired to move, and motivates me to always do the next right thing. If you'll continue reading, I'll keep writing. I'm extremely grateful to Jo Sahlin at GoodTherapy.org for her recognition and support.

7 comments:

Nicole said...

Congratulations! That's awesome! :)

~Nicole

Rachael Wood said...

Congratulations, well deserved.

Nemya said...

Congrats!!! Your dedication inspires others.

Chicago Clinical Psychologist said...

Congrats on having your blog be chosen for such an honor! It is a great blog.

Irene said...

Thank you for being so genuine and dedicated. Congratulations.

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

Sorry I'm so late, but congratulations!! I have benefited greatly from your honesty on your blog and am so inspired by your determination to not give up.

City Panicked said...

Congratulations! You deserve all of these accolades for your honest and well-written description of life with depression and all that that entails.



.