Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Opportunity Knocks

I have big news. At this time tomorrow, I will be meeting with a producer from a NYC based website. She and her camera crew are coming from New York to film me! We begin filming tomorrow afternoon, and they will be here filming all day Thursday as well. They found my blog and decided to highlight it (and I guess me) in a video which will be broadcast on their health website. This is a huge opportunity for me to continue fighting the stigma surrounding depression and other mental illnesses. I find myself humbled and honored once again.

This all happened very fast. The producers only contacted me last week. I've been madly cleaning my house and getting ready for their arrival since then. I'm anxious about being videotaped, as I hate my voice and am afraid I'll look like an idiot, but I cannot pass up the opportunity to be a voice for all of us in this fight. I'm trying to embrace the opportunity and leave the rest in the hands of my higher power. Writing comes easily to me. I'm not so sure about speaking. I need to let go of worry and have faith I'll find the right words.

I'll let you know more about the video as I know more. I have no idea when it will be finished, but I'll post a link as soon as it's up and running. Thank you, my friends, for reading along as I've walked this journey with you over the past 8 years. I hope I live up to the opportunity with which I'm being presented.

7 comments:

JJ PishPosh said...

You are an inspiration to us all.

Katarina O said...

Happy for you.

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

How exciting! I appreciate how you speak out about depression and advocate for those with mental illness with your writing. I know you will do a good job with this opportunity too. Please let us know when the video is ready! :-)

jane smith said...

You are so brave to do this! Good luck!

paullamb said...

A positive development. I hope the movie is true and captures the nature of this damned darkness correctly. Also, I hope they film you running!

Nemya said...

Congrats! I look forward to seeing the finished product. Best wishes...

City Panicked said...

That sounds like such a wonderful, albeit nerve wracking, experience. It is great to have people speak openly about their mental health. I can't wait to hear about how it went and maybe even get a chance to watch the completed product.



.