Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Happy Birthday

Yes, today is my birthday. It's rather anticlimactic, as my mood and energy have sunk to new lows. Nevertheless, I did have a few highlights to my day. My mother called, as is her custom, and sang Happy Birthday over the phone. I got a morning delivery of some lovely flowers from my boyfriend, D. They are beautiful and fragrant.


Tonight I spent time with my friend, Wendy, and she treated me to dinner. It was all good.

I saw my doctor this afternoon. Not much to report there. My mood is low. Fatigue is knocking me flat. I haven't made it to the gym for several days. It's difficult to get out of the house. I don't like to be around others. None of these are positive signs. But I'm forcing myself out the door. I'm at least walking when I can muster the energy. I'm doing what I can to ride out the low. My doctor is not changing anything yet. I'm hanging on for now. Like birthdays, I know this too shall pass.

8 comments:

Paul said...

Sorry the lows had to come visit for your birthday. I'm glad you found some happiness in it nonetheless.

Sharon Greene said...

Happy Birthday! The flowers are beautiful.

Jim Work said...

I hate the pit. Ride out that storm girl. Simple words, more than you want to hear, but wishing you some light in the midst of darkness......en theos...j

Kat Speeckaert said...

Happy Birthday! I'm glad that the people who love you know how important it is to celebrate your special day even when you're feeling low. I hope you can feel the sunlight soon.

Mopsa said...

Happy belated birthday!
I hope you're feeling better now.

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

Happy belated Birthday! I'm sorry you've been feeling low, but I hope you are starting to feel better. My thoughts are with you!

Irene said...

Real nice flowers. Happy birthday. Cheers.

Nemya said...

Happy belated birthday... Hopefully the fresh air and sunshine will help lift your mood over the next few days.



.