Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Back to it

I am just back from a good treadmill run at my gym. Although my left knee continues to bother, the pain is much improved. On Thursday, after applying Kinesiotape, I was able to run 10, 2 minute segments with one minute walk breaks. I iced it down immediately following that run, and I recovered nicely. Yesterday I rode my recumbent, stationary bike without difficulty, so I decided to try a bit more challenging run today.

This morning I ran 5, 6-8 minute segments with one minute walk breaks for a total of 5.1 miles, and I felt good. My knee was a little sore, but I was able to run without altering my gait. I'm hopeful I am on the mend. If I recover well today, without any increased soreness, I will try a longer, slow run outside tomorrow.

We're finally going to be out of the deep freeze tomorrow, so it will be nice to spend time outdoors with Jet. It's sunny and crisp today, but too cold to spend much time outside. By the way, my mood continues to be sunny, too. I feel better and better everyday. The darkness of January hasn't been forgotten, but it's getting further and further from my mind. I'm enjoying the freedom of feeling well. I have enough energy to work, exercise, get to my meetings, and even socialize a bit. I feel like I'm mentally and physically mending. It's nice. I'm grateful to be back living, not just surviving, life.

3 comments:

Tricia said...

I can so relate to your words: "...the freedom of feeling well. I have enough energy to work, exercise, get to my meetings, and even socialize a bit... I'm grateful to be back living, not just surviving, life."

Good for you. It is a pleasure just to be able to function without everything being an uphill struggle. I'm grateful for those times too.

Darius G said...

Just found your blogg. It's great that there are people such as you that don't give up :)

paullamb said...

This is great news, and I'm happy that you're recovering in both ways.

Warmer weather is coming to Kansas City too, and I'll be happy to get off my basement treadmill and get some miles out the "real" world.



.