Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Little Celebration

I've had an interesting day today. It's my day off, and I had lots of errands and chores to cross off my list. I got up around 6:30 AM with great intentions but immediately knew I was in for a slow start. I just couldn't wake up. I tried. I ate breakfast and had two cups of coffee, but by 8:00 AM I was sleeping once again. I slept from 8-9 and then got up but couldn't wake up. I laid back down. I slept again from 9-10 and 10-11. Each time I got up I was overwhelmed with somnolence. At 11:00 I got dressed in my running clothes for my now long overdue trip to the gym. Getting dressed didn't help. I didn't get out of my house until 1:00 PM! It was a bit ridiculous. Apparently my body needed rest today. I guess I should be glad I had the time to give it.

Despite the slow start, today has been a good day. I'm having a little celebration right now. I just returned from my first run in 2 weeks. I got on the treadmill at the gym with great trepidation, walked for five minutes, and then set the pace for 9:00 minutes per mile. That first mile was pretty tough. Everything hurt. I think I was so nervous about my right calf seizing up that I was altering my gait and causing other areas, like my left knee, to get sore. By mile two I had relaxed a bit and was able to run without pain. I completed 3 one mile segments with one minute walk breaks between each mile. I ran and walked for 40 minutes total. I'm happy to report I'm pleasantly tired and still pain free right now.

I'm feeling happy and hopeful. I'm hopeful I can get back on my training schedule, get back into regular running shape and start racing again. I've got Grandmas Marathon penciled in for mid-June. If I don't get back to training soon, I won't have enough time to prepare. I love Grandmas. I want to run it. Yet I'm going to try my best to take things slow, give my body a chance to adjust to training again, and hopefully continue to run injury free. Patience is not one of my best qualities, but I'm going to do my best.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats. I have taken 4 days off from running and feel miserable. Running good definitely helps depression. I will run tomorrow and then go to work. Running is what keeps me going. After a jog, the body and mind feels good and relaxed. Good luck on your marathon training....,John.

Mel said...

Getting started again can be tough, and doing so when also fighting depression can be even harder. Don't give up.



.