Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Pleasantly boring

Things are going well here. My mood continues to be good. As I said in my last post, there is freedom in feeling well. I am free to make plans, go out, socialize, and most importantly feel. Rather than the numbness of depression, I can feel enjoyment, hope, gratitude, and any other emotion that comes along. Freedom.

My training is coming along, too. I was able to run 11 miles, with a few walk breaks, outside on Sunday. My left knee was a bit sore, but I was able to run with my normal gait pattern, and I recovered well. I've just come home from a great treadmill run this afternoon. For the first time I was able to run 3 consecutive miles at a good pace without walking breaks. Considering it was a treadmill run, which I find incredibly tedious and more difficult than running outdoors, I was quite pleased. I'm now feeling more hopeful about returning to my pre-surgery running form.

Work is also going well. The freedom of feeling good extends to working well. I have more energy to pick up more hours, which helps financially, and I'm able to spend more quality time with my patients. I feel more creative and find interactions with patients more rewarding than when I'm struggling. My brain still fatigues after approximately 6 or 7 hours of work, so I usually keep my shifts to 7 hours or less. I'm actually quite fortunate to have control over how many hours I pick up per shift.

That pretty much covers my life these days. It is pleasantly boring once again. No drama. I like that. I'm grateful to be where I'm at today.

2 comments:

Irene said...

I'm so happy for you, Etta.

Irene said...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/16/blood-test-depression_n_5826592.html

Etta, did you read this, about a blood test for depression eventually?



.