Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Sunday, July 5, 2015

Close Friends, Favorite Places

I had the opportunity to spend the long, holiday weekend with some close friends in two of my favorite places, Duluth and Ely, Minnesota. Both northeastern Minnesota cities are dominated by water. I grew up in northeastern Minnesota. My spirit is dominated by water. It brings me serenity.

Duluth is on the tip of Lake Superior, the largest of the five Great Lakes. Much of the city rests on the side of a hill overlooking the lake. And Lake Superior is spectacular. It dominates the landscape. There is nothing like it. Just the sight of the big lake sets my mind at ease and brings me peace. I can't get enough of it.

Ely is a small city at the gateway of The Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. The BWCAW is the largest wilderness area east of the Rockies. The Boundary Waters has more than one million acres of ancient forest and over 1,500 lakes and streams, all of which remain untouched by civilization. There are literally lakes everywhere! It is quiet, and beautiful, and wild, and serene.

My friends, who live in Duluth, have a cabin on a lake in Ely. We spent the sunny, warm long weekend doing absolutely nothing but relaxing. We talked, laughed, ate well, napped, shopped, took a sauna, listened to loons, watched eagles, and gazed at the stars. It was exactly what I needed, and I'm so thankful for the opportunity to spend time with my friends in such a wondrous place.

I'm feeling rested and relaxed now. It was difficult to come home today, but I'm definitely ready to face the business of the week ahead. Long-time close friends, and old, familiar favorite places have rejuvenated my soul. Grateful, I am.

1 comment:

Paul said...

I'm glad that you got this bit of recuperation. I wish there was something I could do for you -- trade ankles, maybe? -- beyond just wishing you well.



.