Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Friday, December 11, 2015

Working and feeling well

It's been a good week. I just returned home from work. It was my third full day of work this week, and I'm not collapsed on the sofa yet! I'm not out running, either, but my energy has not been totally sapped. I still have a little left. Enough to sit here and write at least. I'm pleased with how things are going.

My mood has been very good and holding steady for at least a month now. I'm thrilled to have more energy. I've gradually been building up my hours at work. It's going well. I've been working 6-8 hour shifts, 3-4 days per week. We're busy, so I'm seeing one patient after another, and like I said, I haven't crashed. It's really rather remarkable. I feel so "normal."

Better yet, I've been able to keep up with some sort of exercise 5-6 days of the week. Exercise is key to my mental health. In balance with working, socializing, and my recovery, I need exercise to continue to feel well. I've lost some of the weight I gained during my depression relapse, and I feel physically stronger and healthier today than I have for months.

Unfortunately, my running comeback took a bit of a hit two weeks ago when my right Achilles acted up in the middle of a run. I was worried. I took a week off, focused on cycling and lifting instead, and I seem to be back on track. I'm now up to running for 4 minutes interspersed with 2 minutes of walking. I'm hoping to increase the running time to 5 minutes and decrease the walking time to one minute within the next week. It's slow, but it's progress.

I like progress. I'm happy with my progress. I'm hoping to continue on this trajectory. Life is so much simpler when my mood is good. And I'm very grateful for that.

1 comment:

HBF said...

Yay for progress! I'm so happy to read this and glad to hear you are taking care of yourself with exercise despite the Achilles (and taking care of that too). Keep up the hard work :)



.