Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Well...

Hard to believe it's been a week since my last post. I apologize. I usually don't let so much time pass between posts. The lack of posts reflects the lack of anything interesting going on around here. I'm just putting one foot in front of the other right now. I'm doing what I need to do, working, taking care of Jet, attending my meetings, and exercising. Things are going well. Life is pleasantly boring, and I don't have much to say.

I did see my orthopedic surgeon this week regarding my Achilles recovery. He was pleased with how I was healing. He wants me to continue wearing the walking boot for at least two more weeks, but I'm now allowed to walk gently around my house without the boot. I'm also able to ride my bike or swim free of the boot. My right calf is already only half the size of the left, so I'm happy to begin the process of rebuilding.

I've been exercising the rest of my body as best I can. I'm lifting weights and working on my core at least 2 or 3 days a week. Now that I'm allowed to cycle, I look forward to getting in some good cardio work, too. My mouth appears to be healing from oral surgery. I'd really like it if it was already healed, as it still hurts, and until it's totally healed I worry about things like infection. With my luck over the last several months, it's hard not to worry.

Despite my worry thoughts, my mood is holding steady. I'm pleased to be feeling well. This has been a good, long stretch, not without it's share of challenges, and I'm hopeful I'll continue to feel mentally strong. It's easier to face challenges as they present themselves when my mood is good. It doesn't make for very interesting reading, but sometimes it's nice to have little to say. Carry on, my friends.

4 comments:

paullamb said...

Interesting or uninteresting, your posts are worth the wait!

etta said...

@ paullamb: Ahhhh...you are too kind. Thank you.

HBF said...

I may not have much to say but please know that I am thinking of you and hoping that you are getting better and better :) I've been a little preoccupied with my train wreck of a life lately but I'm trying to get some balance back! Keep up the hard work, we're rooting for you!

etta said...

@ HBF: Keep up the good work! I'm rooting for you, too.



.