Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, November 5, 2016

Start spreading the news...

I'm here. I made it. But if I ever do this again, remind me not to land at a NYC airport during rush hour on a Friday afternoon! I landed at Laguardia at 5:35 PM. Despite my incredibly talented, shuttle van, Ninja driver, I didn't get to my hotel until 8:05 PM. No big deal, except I was starving and too exhausted to update my blog last night as planned. All part of the experience.

It's a gorgeous day in New York City today! I've already been out for my 2-mile, shake out run, which is my routine the day before a marathon. I've picked up my race packet, bought my groceries, and begun to lay out my clothing. I'm excited. I can't wait to get going.

In spite of my excitement, I'll have to practice patience tomorrow morning. I'm planning to be up before 5:00 AM, a full 5+ hours before my starting time. After a subway ride, I'll board my bus to Staten Island at 6:00. I heard the bus takes 90 minutes to get to the start, although Staten Island doesn't seem that far away. I hope I don't have to pee! I begin the procession into my starting corral, along with 10-15,000 others, at 9:00. My race officially begins at 10:15 AM Eastern Standard Time.

I feel happy. I feel grateful. I have no idea what will happen tomorrow. My legs might feel heavy and slow. They might feel light and quick. I really don't know what to expect from my body, but I do expect to have fun. That's my plan. Take it all in and have fun. I'm already on my way.

Number goes on the front. My customized sign, Beating Depression One Step at a Time, on the back. I'm running for all of us!

2 comments:

paullamb said...

I'm here too. Numb, not nervous. My wave doesn't fly until 11:00, but my daughter thinks we might be able to sneak into an earlier wave.

Fleet feet, Etta!

Julie Gathman said...

Very interesting details. I don't know much about the sport of running. There are many, many steps involved, I see. Thanks for doing your part to spread awareness about depression, with your sign; hopefully, to lessen stigma and promote understanding, research, and more effective treatment.



.