Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Progress

I am nearing the end of my second hospital stay. My mood is improving. It's not perfect, but it is better than it was. The current plan is for one more ECT treatment on Friday, and then I will go home Saturday. I miss Jet so, so much! I can't wait to see him and to get back into our routine.

I am especially looking forward to getting outside and at least walking, hopefully running, with Jet. Despite the fact that there are two treadmills and a stationary bike on this unit, I have not been able to motivate to do more than 10 minutes of biking, once. I have no desire to do any more than that. I need to get back outside.

I know I'm going to be disappointed in how much fitness I have certainly lost over the last 2-3 weeks. Hopefully, it won't take too terribly long to regain what I've let go. I've already decided I won't be running the Oklahoma City Marathon in late April, which I had tentatively entered into my schedule a few weeks ago. The next marathon on the list will now be Memorial Day weekend.

I'm anxious to get back to work, too. I spoke with my boss today, and despite an e-mail from my company to the contrary, she assured me they were not looking to replace me. That was a relief, although it was still a little baffling and concerning that my company was advertising my position. I know I shouldn't rush back to work, but financially speaking I really have no choice. I need to restart the income as soon as possible. I hope I'm ready to go when I leave here.

Thank you all, again, for your wonderfully supportive and encouraging comments during this difficult time. I am so lucky to have an audience with each of you, my loyal readers. I don't take that for granted. I'll never be able to balance the scales, but I'll do my best to offer each of you just a sliver of the hope you offer me. Carry on, my friends!

2 comments:

Wendy Love said...

You are always so good at reporting the positive.
Glad you experiencing a turn for the better.
Take it easy when you get home.

Katheryne Patterson said...

I am so impressed with you. You will gain the fitness back!

Katy



.