Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Thief

Depression steals.

Moments. Days.
Months. Years.

Joy. Peace.
Serenity.

Energy. Fitness.
Movement.

Motivation. Satisfaction.
Appreciation. Meaning.

Memory.
Intelligence.
Clear thinking.

Sleep. Appetite.
Emotions.

Smiles. Laughter.
Family. Friends.

Color.
Beauty.
Light.
Air.

Spirit.
Gratitude.
Grace.

Goals. Drive.
Competence.

Work. Socialization.

Care. Self care.
Physical well-being.

Confidence.
Self esteem.

Freedom. Choice.

Hope and Purpose.

Purpose.
and.
Hope.

6 comments:

Jean Grey said...

Yes to everything you said.

paullamb said...

Yep, I recognize every bit and nuance of this.

Anonymous said...

You were doing TMS. Are you doing TMS currently?

etta said...

re TMS: Awaiting MD return from vacation. Hard as it is to imagine, Mayo Clinic only has one MD who can initiate TMS. A lot of pain could have otherwise been avoided.

Jules said...

So sorry you're battling MDD again. So unfair. Have you considered Deep Brain Stimulation or Ketamine treatments? I know they're somewhat new treatments, but studies reveal they're very successful for some people. If anyone should quality for one or the other treatment, it would be you. I realize availability and insurance coverage could be an issue, but I thought I'd inquire. Keep putting one foot in front of the other and you'll walk through this episode as well my friend.

etta said...

@ Jules: As I said above, I'm waiting for the TMS doc to return to the office. Hoping to restart TMS again ASAP, but that could be another 7-10 days.



.